New location of app_conference: Iaxclient-devel: App_conference has a new home (Sun, 28 Jan 2007) - Keep this in mind when older pages refer to the old location.
app_conference wiki: Asterisk + app_conference
It has several design goals which are different than meetme:
- It does not require a zap channel for timing.
- It is very efficient when used with channels which support DTX (silence detection/discontinuous transmission).
- It can do VAD on channels which do not support DTX (although this is probably more expensive than just mixing them).
- It presents messages on the Monitor interface for determine which speakers are active.
I believe that people other than myself are using this, but my environment is pretty rigid, and cases outside of this aren't tested:
- Some callers come from the PSTN via IAX2 from a box with Zaptel cards, via uLaw.
- Other callers come from iaxclient based softphones using GSM via IAX2 (with DTX).